Executive Education Program in Conservation & Environmental Sustainability
The EICES Executive Education Program allows professionals from all sectors to gain the knowledge and tools to make sound decisions about business activities and policy practices that impact the environment. Courses are taught by Columbia University professors and researchers from the Consortium for Environmental Research and Conservation (CERC) as well as adjunct faculty and current practitioners from both the public and private sectors. Their breadth of experience and diverse set of perspectives allow the Executive Education Program curriculum to reflect scientific expertise and current hands-on approaches to environmental sustainability. As a platform for integrated and holistic thinking on the interconnectedness of nature’s systems, the Executive Education Program offers the unique opportunity to address complex environmental issues and to arrive implementable and measurable solutions.
This program is designed for working professionals:
- No previous coursework or scientific knowledge is required.
- Evening classes are held from 6:10 p.m. to 8:10 p.m. at Columbia University in New York City as well as online via the EICES Distance Learning Program.
- Optional weekend field courses are also offered.
- Classes meet once a week for five weeks (10 hours total per course).
- Courses may be taken on an individual basis or toward completion of the 12-course Executive Education Program in Conservation & Environmental Sustainability.
- The full Program may be completed in as little as nine months.
- Students receive an official transcript from Columbia University.
- Rolling admissions – you may apply at any time.
– Spring 2016 Course Calendar (PDF) *NEW*
– Spring 2016 Course Descriptions (PDF) *NEW*
Upcoming Certificate Courses – Spring 2016
Module 1: January – February
- Digital Markets & Public Relations in Environmental Sustainability (begins Jan. 25)
- Scenarios for a Sustainable World (Jan. 20)
- Landscape Ecology **Cancelled**
Module 2: February – March
- Sustainable Agriculture (begins Feb. 23)
- Climate and Biodiversity (Feb. 24)
- Introduction to Evolution (begins Feb. 25)
- Coral Reef Ecology **Cancelled**
Module 3: April – May
- Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature (begins Apr. 6)
- Introduction to Environmental Policy (begins Apr. 11)
- Forest Management and Conservation (May 5) **Not Available for Distance Learning**
Module 4: May – June
- Environmental Sustainability and Corporate Decision Making (begins May 10)
- Environmental Justice and Sustainability (begins May 11)
- Green Gotham: Ecological Restoration & Wildlife Conservation in NYC (begins May 14) **Not Available for Distance Learning**
- Ecology of Landscapes (begins May 16) **Not Available for Distance Learning**
“I enrolled in the Earth Institute’s [Executive Education] Program because I wanted to make a career change into the environmental field. The coursework was very engaging and fulfilling – even as a distance student. The professors were incredible educators and they all were passionate about the subject matter. Not only did I gain great knowledge in the environmental & sustainability field through the Program, but it also gave me significant practical and applicable skills. I am very pleased to have found the Program and am honored to have benefited so greatly.”