There are no prerequisites required to apply to the SEE-U program. Undergraduate students in good academic standing from all majors at all accredited colleges or universities may apply to SEE-U. Upon completion of the SEE-U program you will receive six academic credits from Columbia University.
For Non-Columbia Students: Columbia University maintains high academic standards and it is likely that your institution will accept the credits from the SEE-U program as fulfillment of science or laboratory requirements. You are responsible for confirming that the credits from the SEE-U program are transferable and may be applied to your own academic program. If you have any questions or if your academic advisor would like to speak with one of our faculty members please call or e-mail EICES.
- Tuition: $9,000 ($1,500 per credit x 6 academic credits)
- Room & Board: $1,950 (applies to all field-sites except NYC)
- NYC Program Fees: $800 (Covers room and board on field trips only. Students are responsible for their own housing accommodations throughout the summer.)
- Airfare is not included. Additional costs may apply (shopping, books, supplies, etc).
Upon your acceptance to the SEE-U program a non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to secure your space at one of our field sites. This program deposit is applied toward your course tuition costs upon your successful completion of the SEE-U program.
*Costs may be subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Columbia University Trustees.
Need-based fellowships awards are available directly from EICES in amounts up to $3,000 for all of our 6 credit SEE-U programs. To apply for an EICES fellowship simply fill out that section of the SEE-U program application.
The Columbia Presidential Global Fellowship also provides funding for first-year Columbia College, General Studies, and Fu Foundation students to study-abroad study abroad via the SEE-U program.
Earth Institute Fellowships
The Earth Institute offers fellowships for Sustainable Development majors or special concentrators through its Global Fellows in Sustainable Development Program. If awarded, this fellowship offers funding for costs outside of tuition, including the program fees and airline costs.
The application deadline is February 14, 2016.
- Application (online or paper version – PDF download)
- Essay; ~500 words describing why you have chosen to participate in the SEE-U program
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor or instructor (past or present)
- A nonrefundable $95 application fee, payable by check or money order to ‘Columbia University’
We offer rolling admissions for the SEE-U program so you may apply at any time. Our next application review date with fellowship consideration is May 15, 2016. Applications are considered as they are received and there are a limited number of spaces available for our various field sites. Therefore, the earlier you apply the better the chance that there will be space available at the field site of your choice.
For more information on applying to the SEE-U program please contact EICES at firstname.lastname@example.org.